Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A day of rest

Nothing exciting to report for today.  I decided not to do much of anything or go anywhere.  Due to the chillier temperatures from that cold front that moved through, I’ll be giving my fingers a bag balm treatment tonight since they’ve begun to crack again.

When I got here, I didn’t set up the DISH, but just relied on the antenna for TV reception.  As I stood on the stool to crank it up, the crank fell out on the floor.  This happened last year, but my friend Denny was able to fix it for me.  Well, Denny isn’t around this year so I was stymied as to what to do.  I really didn’t want to climb up on the roof to see if it was sticking up at all, so I stood on the picnic table across the street and sure enough, it was up off of the roof.  Can you see the non-mechanical gears turning in my head?  I finally thought to get back on the stool with a pair of pliers and began turning the post that was sticking out of the ceiling.  I felt absolutely brilliant until I went back outside and found that all that I had accomplished was to move it further up off the roof! 

Okay, back inside the rig, dummy, and turn it the other way.  I can’t tell you how good it made me feel to hear that distinctive clunk as the antenna seated itself down on the roof.  Now, if I could just figure out how to make the water hose stop leaking where it enters the rig.  It leaks at both the top and bottom of the pressure regulator that the hose hooks up to.  When I got here, I just let it leak while I filled the fresh water tank and have been using that tank full of water while I’ve been at the state park. 

It was not a good picture day for me today.  Emma and I went on a hike, but the pictures turned out miserably, and my lens cap popped off and went through the crack in the overlook we were standing on and splashed down five feet into the bayou.  Ugh!  So, I spent the afternoon rereading part of my favorite book. “Hanta Yo” by Ruth Beebe Hill.  It is out of print now, but I have a hard copy that I pull out every three years or so.  I find it a great read no matter how many times I’ve read it since 1979.

Tomorrow we’re off to Mississippi.  Sure hope it’s an uneventful trip and I can find a gas station that’s easy to get in and out of.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy