Friday, February 8, 2013

Getting back in the groove

I worked the VC yesterday afternoon, and as usual the chunky slate floor pretty much wore me out.  Other volunteers have complained about knee, hip, and foot problems as well having to spend hours walking around that flooring.  The floor might look nice, but it sure isn’t user friendly.

IMG_1564

This afternoon, I was assigned to rove the refuge and interact with visitors.  Being an overcast chilly day, there weren’t too many folks to chat with along Swamp Island Drive.

IMG_1565

However, being outside sure was more enjoyable for me.  Each month on the refuge there seem to be different plants blooming.  The February bloom of the month appears to be this vine that nearing peak bloom, is draped over low shrubs.

IMG_1567

I thought maybe the gazillions of robins that have been here for the winter would have been making their way north by now.  Do you think they know there’s a big blizzard hitting the northeast right now?

IMG_1571

I guess I can’t complain about overcast skies and temps in the 50’s when I think about those folks up north.  No threat of snow here, and signs are beginning to appear that show spring is on the way.

IMG_1587

The swamp maples are sending out their little helicopters, and provide a nice red burst of color in the leaf barren sections of the forest. 

It was an enjoyable afternoon spent cruising the byways of the refuge with my camera in hand.  It seems no matter the weather, there’s always something new to discover.  The best part of this, of course, is not having to deal with constant pain.  I’m feeling so rejuvenated it’s amazing!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy