Friday, December 23, 2011

Life’s little adventures

I don’t know about the rest of you bloggers, but for me my time outside with Emma in the late afternoon is a good time for me to review the happenings of the day in my mind.  It’s also the time when I decide if the day is worth blogging about.  Sometimes, my biggest challenge is coming up with a title for the post.  Today was one of those days.  Quite a bit happened, and yet, none of it was earth shattering. 

I also want to say that it has been very enlightening to have fellow bloggers staying here for more than an hour or two.  I have really enjoyed reading about Roxanne’s and Annie’s  perception of our shared experiences.  It just reinforces how each of us in this world perceive happenings through our own personal window on life. 

Anyway, on to today’s little adventures…

IMG_5213 IMG_5212

This morning, the Good Luck Ducks joined me for part two of the wildlife refuge tour.  We visited both the VIS and the new Visitor’s Center after dropping off the five bags of sorted rice grains to the biologist. 

IMG_5216 IMG_5215

We also took the trail through the bald cypress swamp down to Lake Anahuac.  It was a peaceful little hike, and the woods were very quiet.

IMG_5209

While at the Visitor’s Center, I visited the ladies room, and just need to tell you about the latest thing in hand drying.  This is a state of the art building powered by solar panels.  After washing up, you just insert your hands into this thing, and it automatically blasts your hands dry with warm air.  No more having to rub your hands together while trying to punch the start button, and no more trees destroyed for paper wipe towels.  Pretty cool, huh?  ( I know, simple pleasures for simple minds.Smile)

64 Anahuac NWR 201127

On the way back to the rigs, Annie suggested we stop for lunch at a little place I had told them about.  Dolly’s Quick Food is a little shack on one of the back farm roads.  The only other people I’ve persuaded to stop here are my sister and her husband about five years ago.  Big improvements have been made since then.  When I first stopped here with them, you just knocked on a window to place your order.  There wasn’t any door with an enclosed porch then.  This is definitely not an eat in restaurant.  You go in, place your order, and then wait while Dolly goes back to make your lunch or dinner.  That’s Dolly, on the right, working away at the grill behind the window preparing our eats.

_MG_5221

I don’t know how long Dolly has been in business, but she sure puts out some good grub.  Roxanne and Annie ordered chopped beef bar-b-queued sandwiches, and I ordered the pork rib sandwich.  The adventure part for me here was to figure out how to eat a pork rib sandwich with the bones still in the ribs!  Do Texans eat the bones and all??  You know, there were onions and pickles on the sandwich as well as the bread.  It was definitely an experience.

Last, but not least, is the adventure I observed as I sat outside with Emma just before sunset.  I will leave you with this slightly different ending picture, and in all due respect, fellow volunteer Bob does not know that I took this pic.  He was working on making some gutter drains for the community building.  I’m thinking maybe he has some roasted oysters there as he straddles that spout…

_MG_5224

                                                                                    THE END!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy