Friday, December 30, 2011

The last roundup

As I gazed out the window above my bench table this morning,

_MG_5342

I was surprised to see a cowboy in the field rounding up the doggies.  That could only mean one thing.  It was time for a cattle drive.  I was hoping I would get to see another drive before I leave.

_MG_5345

About an hour later, three mounted cowboys trotted past the rigs, and not far behind…

_MG_5346

came the herd.  My estimate was about 300 head were being moved to greener pastures.

_MG_5348

Since Emma was going berserk, I put her inside the rig and went out to the fence to watch the parade go by.

_MG_5350

As the cows flooded the road, I could have reached out and touched them.  There were upturned horns, and downturned horns, and no horns at all. 

_MG_5353

And last, but not least, was the rear guard cowboy making sure no cattle wandered where they weren’t supposed to.

_MG_5355

A cow herd of this size doesn’t move very fast, and they certainly pave the road with lots of cow pies in their passing.  Smile with tongue out

I waited another hour before I got into the car and headed to town.  I couldn’t avoid the pies as I listened to the blatt blatt blatt as my tires squished them and sprayed them on the underside of the car.  Yuck!  I was on my way to what turned out to be the worst Chinese buffet that I’ve ever eaten.  My two recommendations are don’t eat Chinese in Winnie, TX, and don’t drive a road after a cattle drive! 

As you may have figured out, I decided to stay at Anahuac NWR until New Year’s Day.  Then on Sunday, I have reservations for four nights at Lake Fausse Pointe State Park in Louisiana.  I’ve been slowly getting ready to blow this popsicle stand.

I thought the cattle would be in their new pasture by the time I left for lunch, but it was not to be.  That herd was moving over four miles down the road, so I caught up with them.  I leave you tonight with a picture out the front windshield of my car as I was directed by the cowboys to push through the herd.  Easier said than done…

_MG_5358                                                                                THE END!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy