Monday, October 15, 2012

I’m ready!

One of the nice things about having photography as a hobby is that when I prepare to leave a volunteer assignment that I’ve been at for three months, I can sit down and review my time here pictorially.  That’s exactly what I did this afternoon in between packing up duties.  Tonight I’ve included several collages of my favorite memories from this assignment.  It wasn’t easy whittling it down to around 38 photos out of the over 600 that I kept, but at least I’ve probably deleted a couple of thousand over my time here.

69  Pea Island & Alligator River NWRs  201224

I’ve got to say that the encounters with wildlife were probably my favorite memories from both Pea Island and Alligator River NWRs.  I hope the folks I was able to visit with won’t take that as an affront, but it’s the truth.

69  Pea Island & Alligator River NWRs  201225

Yesterday I went to an afternoon cookout that the new volunteer coordinator and the new person responsible for the visitors centers put on.  There was a boatload of food, and pleasant visitation going on between the RV volunteers, the interns, and some of the staff at the volunteer coordinator’s home.  What a magnificent location she has for her house.  We sat out on the back deck that overlooked the Roanoke Sound, and enjoyed observing many large flocks of cormorants moving across the sound.

69  Pea Island & Alligator River NWRs  201226

While I took care of some last loads of laundry, airing out and packing the outdoor carpet, and checking the tire pressures on the rig when I got back, my mind was a whirl with everything I had to do today.  When you’re parked somewhere for three months, there are a lot of chores to take care of both inside and out before everything is ready to hit the road.

69  Pea Island & Alligator River NWRs  201227

Luckily, my monthly mail arrived at headquarters today, so I finished up putting away the extend-a-stay propane hook-up, dumped and flushed the tanks, stored the DISH satellite, cleaned the inside of the rig, and all the myriad other little chores that need to be done.  I can pretty much say I’m ready to go.

My plans are to drive to Wilson, NC, tomorrow.  I’ll stay there a couple of nights before moving on to South Carolina.  I hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow, and my normal moving day jitters will calm once I’m back on the road.

IMG_0778

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy