Saturday, July 27, 2013

First tomato

It’s been kind of chilly since I returned to Tamarac.  Highs in the 60’s during the day, and I’ve used the furnace each morning.  There have been rather brisk winds as well.  Some storms moved through the day after I got back, which afforded me another chance to exercise the generator as we lost electricity for a number of hours.

This morning dawned bright but cool, so I headed out for the farmer’s market in Detroit Lakes.

73 Tamarac NWR, 201314

Most of the local venders had to hang onto their canopies so they wouldn’t blow away.  Just about everyone was bundled up.  Seems a little early for such cool temperatures.  I got in line to wait for my rustic Italian loaf of bread from the Breadsmith booth.  I think it’s the most popular booth here.

73 Tamarac NWR, 201315

I got there pretty early, so I was able to snatch up a small basket of home grown tomatoes.  They were pretty small, but so delicious.  I’ve been waiting a year for that wonderful taste.  Raspberries are now in season, but I had bought a pint at a stand on my way back from Rochester the other day.  I got them for a much better price too. 

After a few other errands in town, I headed to Frazee, MN, for Turkey Days.  That’s the town where I got that picture of the World’s Largest Turkey in May.  Well, as far as small town festivals go, I’d say this one wasn’t worth stopping for, so I didn’t.  Thumbs down  As I slowly drove through town, it seemed that it mostly consisted of craft booths.  Not my cup of tea, so I headed back home.

73 Tamarac NWR, 201316

I took the round about way home through the refuge, and spotted a nice bunch of wildflowers.   I haven’t got the desire to identify them right now since it took me hours to figure out how to get my pictures uploaded to Picasa 3.  I said in the last post that I was liking Windows 8, but today’s experience almost had me tearing my hair out. 

At one point, all 19,000 of my pictures disappeared again, and I ended up calling Daniel several times.  Of course, he told me it had to be user error (which didn’t help my disposition at all!).  Eventually we (he) figured it out, and my pictures were back.  The last time I called, he told me I had reached my limit of help calls for the day.  Disappointed smile  I then reminded him, that if it weren’t for me, he wouldn’t be here!  Nyah-Nyah  I just hope I can remember the convoluted method he showed me for getting pictures uploaded tomorrow.

If the weather is good in the morning, my plan is to visit a couple of interesting places in Little Falls, MN.  Think Charles Lindberg, fishing, and a crane meadow….

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy