Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Close encounters of the little blue heron kind

During the heat of mid-afternoon yesterday, I was sitting at my computer in the rig and felt a little twinge in my back.  That little twinge would become very important today, but I’ll go into that later.  Emma and I hopped into the car and took a drive on the refuge roads that are under construction.  There is one spot where the road makes a 90* turn with a water structure on the left side of the road. 

_MG_3858

I like this particular spot because there is usually some bird action going on.  Yesterday, it was a little blue heron looking for an early dinner. 

_MG_3860

The birds tend to stand on a ledge of the structure to hunt for fish.  It’s hit and miss, and this time it was a miss.

_MG_3862

                                 Then the bird hunkered down a little more for a better shot.

_MG_3863

                                              What a balancing act!  But what about results?

_MG_3864

                                                         Aha! Victory!

_MG_3865

                                                                    Don’t lose it now!

_MG_3867

                                                             Time to get the fish into position.

_MG_3868

                                                                           Almost there!

_MG_3869

Gulp!  The fish goes down sideways.  What a moment in time.  It’s these little ordinary occurrences in nature that make my time here so worthwhile for me.  I feel like I’m one lucky person.

Fast forward to this morning.  As I was brushing my teeth, that little back twinge turned into a full blown back cramp.  Man, that sure hurt, and resulted in me struggling to be able to walk.  I was almost in tears as I tried to take Emma for her first outs.  I barely made it down the rig stairs.  All I could manage was to hook her up to her outside line, and try to crawl back into the rig.  Dang!  There went my plans for a hike on the Skillern Tract today.  The last time I had a back problem like this was 30 years ago.  I spent a lot of time in the horizontal position today for some relief.  I’m hoping I’ll be back to normal by this weekend to work in the VIS.  I’ve decided a little pampering is in order for me.  I don’t have time for this!  Steaming mad

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy