Sunday, November 20, 2011

Marbles

When I was a youngster, I had a marvelous collection of marbles.  They came in all colors of the rainbow, and I enjoyed just rolling them around in my hand.  There were some beautiful cat’s eyes and many others that I can’t remember the names of.  I’ve often wondered what happened to that prized bag of marbles.  I don’t remember actually playing a game of marbles with them, but I’m sure I did.

When I arrived to open the VIS this morning, I was surprised to find a new supply of things to sell at the nature store.  Among those items was about a couple of dozen bags of differently colored marbles.   Each bag had a picture of an animal or natural phenomenon to go along with the colors in the bag.  I was drawn to them, and ended up buying four different bags.

IMG_4108I ended up choosing Bumblebee, Wicked Owl, Ladybug, and Goldfish.  What’s a grandmother to do with four bags of marbles?  I do have a couple of grandsons that are about the age to perhaps be interested in marbles.  Now I just have to figure out how to play marbles.  Do any of you remember the rules?  My granddaughters aren’t quite old enough for this, but I’ll store them next to the box of colors and coloring books for youthful visitors.  Smile  In the meantime, I just may have to dig some of them out and roll them around in my hands.

_MG_4098It was a pretty slow day in the VIS with not much happening besides many many big construction trucks rolling by to dump their contents for the ongoing paving projects.  Between the drought and the construction, there aren’t many birds to entice visitors down the refuge roads.  A few little lantanas are still blooming in the butterfly garden…

_MG_4102 _MG_4103

…and there were a few what I think are some kind of sulphur butterflies feeding on the Turk’s cap.  Not too exciting.  I’m hoping to meet up with fellow bloggers I’ve never met tomorrow, and have offered to give them a tour of the refuge.  We’ll see how that pans out.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy