Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mostly indoor activities

That less than satisfactory meal that I had at a buffet on Easter Sunday played havoc with my innards, so most of the last two days have been spent inside only steps away from the water closet.  Ugh!  While confined to quarters, I did accomplish a few things.  Many fulltimers never make reservations, and I often don’t either.  In planning out my departure from the refuge, I decided that I wanted to be sure of where I would be spending some time along my very slow route to Alligator River NWR in North Carolina.  I don’t have to be there until the first of August, so that gives me three months to play around with.

I’ve chosen to spend about three weeks to a month exploring Alabama.  Towards this end, my first two weeks will be spent at two Corps of Engineer parks.  You won’t ever find me spending a night at a Walmart or truck stop unless it is a dire emergency.  Traveling solo, I’m just not comfortable with those options.  Lots of people do it, but I’m not one of them.  My first stop will be at Claiborne Lake for a week, and then I’ll be up near Montgomery at the Prairie Creek COE campground.  I want to investigate the historic Selma to Montgomery March area.  After that, I’m not sure where I’ll go next.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I’ve got reservations at those two parks, but I’m flexible after that.

66 MS Sandhill Crane NWR 20121While I was ensconced inside, Emma kept up her vigil for squirrels and lizards outside.  No creature misses her surveillance.  Sarcastic smile

I was able to slip out to the grocery store this afternoon for a short foray.  I’ve got three grandkids coming to visit this coming weekend, and I needed to get some spoiling Grandma supplies.  On  the list was double stuff Oreos, the makings for some-mores, lunchmeat, and a bag of cereal.  I’ve already got a supply of bubbles, beach stuff, and hotdogs…

_MG_7551

Last December, my friend Jack gave me a bottle of bug repellant to test out against mosquitoes.  I was feeling a bit better this afternoon, so I decided to give it a test.  We had 4-5” of rain last week, so the mosquitoes have been coming on full force.  I found Pros and Cons to this natural insect repellent:

PROS:  Nice refillable metal container; all natural ingredients; jungle strength; Vegan and Cruelty Free (I’m not sure what that means…No Vegans were harmed in it’s manufacture??); and only 7-8 mosquito bites after its use.

CONS:  I smelled like a walking citronella candle without the flame; 7-8 mosquito bites is about average for me since if there is a mosquito within a mile it will find me; $9.99 cost for 4 oz.; only effective for about two minutes (bottle says it’s good for up to 8 hours).  Can you guess that I would give this product a thumbs down?  Thumbs down

_MG_7555Because of the numerous marauding squirrels, I only put seed in the feeder in the late afternoon.  That has resulted in fewer birds this evening.  I just don’t know if I can afford to keep food all day in the feeder when those fluffy tailed rodents hog most of the feast. 

Kind of a long rambling post tonight, but I blame it all on the terrible food at the buffet!  Smile with tongue out

Thanks for stopping by…talk to you later,  Judy