Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sunday morning excursion

John, Diana, and I were off early this morning to do some birding at a couple of wildlife management areas along the Pascagoula River.  Among other things, we were hoping to find lots of Mississippi and Swallow-tailed Kites.  Turns out we got skunked in that department.

IMG_7516Many of the gravel roads in the management areas we were visiting were flooded, so we didn’t get very far off the beaten path.  It was a gorgeous morning for a drive though.

IMG_7517

We stopped at the headquarters for the Lower Pascagoula WMA, and enjoyed a walk along the river.  The headquarters’ grounds had many huge live oak trees that were dripping with Spanish moss…

_MG_7522 _MG_7524

And it was in these oaks that we found a flock of Northern Parulas busily working the trees for insects.  It was hard to ignore their loud rising buzzy song.  Warblers are often hard to photograph as they seem to be birds of perpetual motion.  While these two shots aren’t very good, there is enough there to seal their identification.  It has been many many years since I’ve seen this colorful warbler.  It made my day.  Smile

Finding a place to have an Easter dinner was also a challenge.  Our first choice was closed for Easter.  Our second choice turned out to be closed also, but it seemed like it had been closed for a very long time.  (the GPS came up with that suggestion)  We ended up at a buffet that changed owner’s hands last Wednesday, and I think that collectively we would give it a score of one star.  Smile with tongue out  Guess we should have just packed a picnic lunch.

_MG_7532While Emma and I were out walking this afternoon, I came upon a new bloom.  Don’t know what it is yet, but as it gets a little past prime it kind of reminds me of a flower with a bad hair day!

I have a couple of errands to run tomorrow, and Emma and I just might check out how the white pitcher plants are coming along.  I’ll be sure to bring my boots and bug spray. 

This morning didn’t exactly turn out as planned, but I sure enjoyed the excursion anyway.  Sure beats sitting inside all day.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy