Saturday, June 8, 2013

Put on an addition to my home today

I had a long list of things to accomplish on my day off today in Detroit Lakes.  I’m not a big fan of shopping, but today was one of those days when the stars were aligned and everything just clicked.  First stop was the farmer’s market that goes on every Saturday in Detroit Lakes.  I didn’t have high expectations since winter is barely over in this neck of the woods, but I was pleasantly surprised. 

I scored two delicious loaves of bread…pretzel bread and  split top buttered white bread, a batch of fresh asparagus, and two home grown pork chops.  As the season progresses, I know this will be an almost weekly stop for me.  I was pleased to see that this farmer’s market hadn’t degenerated into a craft fair.  There was also plenty of locally produced honey and maple syrup available, but I wasn’t in need of any of those.IMG_3236

The young ones are starting to arrive on the refuge.  These proud parents were carefully watching their four goslings.

Next up was a trip to L&M Fleet to pick out a pair of steel toed boots.  Not much available for ladies, and what there was turned out to be ugly and didn’t offer much foot support.  I opted for the smallest sized men’s Georgia boots.  With no arches, I have a wide foot, so the small men’s size worked best for me.  They were not cheap by any means, but the refuge is picking up the tab.  Perhaps I’ll model them along with the new hat I bought after the refuge picks them up next week.

While there I picked up some more bird food for the Hard Rock Bird Café.  Since the bear still seems to be hanging around the area, the refuge has stopped putting out their feeders.  I still put mine out each morning, and take them in before sunset each night.  I may have to get a second job just to pay for the bird food!IMG_3230When I got home, a young male orchard oriole was visiting.  They’re not very common around here, so I was happy to see one.  I also picked up another jug of grape jelly while I was in town.  That jelly is a real hit with all of the orioles.  I’ve even taken to filling up the orange half with it after they eat the insides.  Turns out grape jelly is cheaper than oranges up here.

_MG_8862

Here’s the addition I put on to my home today.  I’m thinking it won’t be long before the mosquitoes and deer flies will be a real challenge to put up with, so I wanted a safer place to sit outside with Emma.  The directions said one person could put this screen room up, but help might be needed the first time or in very windy conditions.  Today qualified on both counts.  I tried to put it up myself, but the high winds made that impossible.  I asked fellow volunteer Steve to help, and we both struggled to get it put together.  I later added a guy wire on one side so it didn’t collapse in the wind. 

IMG_8863

Here’s the view as I sit in my rocker and gaze out the front of my new room.  Not too shabby!  The birds have also adjusted to it, and now I’m only a few feet from the feeders. 

IMG_8859

I also decided to experiment with making my own trail mix to snack on while I’ll be doing all of those bird surveys.  Most trail mixes contain peanuts, and I don’t care for them.  So, I bought some raisins, dark chocolate M&M’s, cashews, honey roasted sesame sticks, and M&M’s pretzels.  I think I’m going to like that combo.

Well, temps were finally warm enough this afternoon after I got back from town to put on some shorts.  That means I’d better close for now, get out the electric razor and take care of my HLS (hairy leg syndrome).  Confused smile

IMG_3220

                                                                                THE END!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy