Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fixed the ‘Aw Shucks!’ today

If you read my post from last night, you know that I was a little down in the dumps about the problems with my telephoto lens.  For the last several years I’ve been wishing that I had a second camera body so that each of my lenses had their own camera, and I wouldn’t have to keep switching the lenses back and forth.  Well, after thinking about it overnight, I decided there really wasn’t any reason why I couldn’t purchase that second camera.  So this morning I was off on a 100 mile journey to Virginia Beach to get to the nearest Best Buy.

IMG_0695

I ended up purchasing a new Canon Rebel T3 and a new telephoto lens.  The Rebel was on sale, and I got half off on the lens for buying it at the same time.  That put the cost of the lens less than what I paid for a used one two years ago, and I’m sure it was less than it would have cost to have the old telephoto repaired.

IMG_0696

Now I won’t have to worry so much about getting dust and debris in the camera workings because of having to change the lens so often.  (I’m pretty good at rationalizing my decisions.  Smile)  The placement of the buttons on the back is a little different than my Rebel XS, so I’ll be spending the next couple of days getting familiar with it.  This camera also has video capabilities, but I’m not sure how much I’ll use that feature.  I’m charging up the battery right now, so I won’t be able to try it out until tomorrow.  Of course, the battery and charging unit have changed over the older version so I’ll have a few more items to keep track of.  And yes, I will only use the view finder, not that screen for taking pictures.

On the way back from Best Buy I was trying to outrace the storms that were rolling into the area.  I almost succeeded. 

IMG_0692

I had to stop at several fresh farm markets along the way though, so that slowed my progress.  Picked up a couple of tasty looking tomatoes and…

IMG_0691

some peach cider.  I’ve never had that before, but a taste of a free sample convinced me that I needed some to take home.

_MG_0689

In all of my travels in the last six years, I really haven’t purchased any bumper stickers to put on the car.  I’m making an exception for the Outer Banks.  I certainly have enjoyed both of my extended visits here, so I broke down and put this on the trunk of the car the other day.  With all the dusty gravel roads I travel, and the rain we’ve had, I guess I ought to wash the car.  Sad smile

I had a message on my cell phone when I got home asking if I’d be able to work tomorrow afternoon at Gateway VC.  It seems the person scheduled to work can’t make it, so I said I’d do it.  That gives me the morning to check out the new camera.  I’m a much happier camper tonight…

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy