Monday, November 12, 2012

Finally got the Chesser Island Homestead orientation

I was up and at ‘em in time this morning for my fourth day in a row of working on the refuge this week.  Have I mentioned before that I think requiring a solo volunteer to work four days a week is too much?  Probably, but I’m going to mention it again.

IMG_0871

A few more photos tonight from yesterday’s west entrance swamp tour.  A juvenile little blue heron picking it’s way along the lily pads and a peat ‘blow out’.

The operative word for me is ‘requires’.  I may choose to work extra hours, and often have, but requiring four days a week is just about like having a job to me.  I get worn out.

IMG_0878

                                  A first year white ibis.  Don’t you just love that down turned beak?

I’ve debated this issue with many Fish and Wildlife staff as well as fellow volunteers that are couples.  I know all of their arguments, but I stand firm in my belief.  It is something that I guess we have agreed to disagree about.

IMG_1206

           Another view of the swamp from the boat.  As I said yesterday, it was a glorious weather day.

I worked the visitors center this morning, and then was assigned to roam for the afternoon.  I stopped at the rig to let Emma out and eat my lunch.  I’ve always been a slow eater, so only having 30 minutes for lunch is a real challenge for me.  Many days I fix my lunch the night before so I have a little more leeway.  Some people can inhale their meals in five minutes, but I’ve never been one of those people.  I guess I inherited that from my mother, as she was even slower than I am.

IMG_0846

This is what happens with many of my attempts to get bird photos.  The darn things have wings, and blast off into flight at my approach.  Sad smile

We had 50 members of a nature lovers group scheduled for a boat tour and a tour of the Chesser Island Homestead today, so I finally got my orientation about being a docent at the Homestead.  Fellow RV volunteer Barry gave the presentation, and I learned a great deal just listening to him.  It was obvious that he is very passionate about sharing his research and knowledge about the pioneer Chesser family. 

IMG_0862

                                             Yep, another little blue heron “gets out of Dodge!”

It will take some study and work on my part to reach the standards set by Barry’s presentation of the history of these ‘swampers’.  I’m determined, though, and it amazes me how much more I’m interested in history than I was as a student in school.  Nerd smile

IMG_0890

As we neared the end of our swamp boat tour yesterday, we witnessed this rather comical nature interaction.  A nice sized yellow-bellied slider turtle had decided to do its sunning atop the back of an alligator.  As our boat neared them, the alligator apparently became uncomfortable as it quickly began swimming away.  The turtle hung on for a wild ride for a while, but eventually blew off into the water.  Just couldn’t hang on for such a roller coaster ride on a moving log, I guess.  Surprised smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy