Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Stymied the physical therapist today

I don’t think that I’ve mentioned that since I got out of the hospital, the weather in this neck of the woods has been outstanding… sunny days with highs near 80.  Unbelievable!  I’ve been plugging away at my exercises and trying to increase my walking distance with the walker each day, but I was still getting antsy.  I’m not used to just sitting around.  Yesterday was the day that broke the camel’s back.  We had to sit all day waiting for a call from the home nursing service so I could get my bandages changed and set up the physical therapy sessions I needed.  I appreciate the fact that these folks will come to the rig to do what is necessary, but the beautiful day was really calling to me.  I’d been cooped up too long!

Finally, around 6:00, the nurse showed up to change my dressing, and to admit me to the home nursing service.  That dressing change was like nothing I’ve ever experienced.  The dressing over the incision had been on for a week and I can only explain it as a big sheet of pigskin type material covering up the gauze and such below.  It was like I had a football on my hip.  She told me to stand up and drop my drawers so she could begin removing the ‘pig skin’.  As she ripped it off, I thought I might go through the roof.  It was an indescribable combination of pain from my skin going with it and a most deep tickling sensation.  I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.  It was crazy. 

The nurse told me before she left, that the physical therapist would call me sometime today to set up my three times/week appointments.  There was no way I was going to sit out another day waiting for a phone call.  So, Kurt and I headed for the refuge this morning.  I wanted him to experience the boat tour of the swamp from the east entrance.  Being a volunteer, I got to go for free, but we purchased a ticket for the noon tour.

We had about an hour and a half to kill before the tour began, so we did the Swamp Island Drive.  Because of the warm temps the last five days, Kurt was able to see a bunch of alligators along the way.  That had been something he wanted to see, so it worked out well.  I was able to get a nice shot of this Savannah sparrow.  It was perched on one of the charred tree remains from last year’s great fire.
Just as we were about to board the boat, I got a call from the therapist about her coming out to put me through my paces.  I told her I was about to get on a boat for a tour of the swamp, and her response was, “You’re doing what???”.  Ha Ha lady!  I’ll talk to you when I return…
The tour goes down the Suwannee Canal for several miles, and then turns into the Chesser Prairie.  Not the kind of prairie you’d find in Kansas, Dorothy.
IMG_1460 (2)
                                Kurt said he enjoyed the tour.  He was getting as antsy as I was.

I continued to work on my quest to get a good kingfisher picture.  It’s a personal challenge I have to capture this skittish bird.  As you can tell, I’m still on that quest.
It was warm enough this afternoon, that the basking alligators had their mouths open to lower their body temps.  Eventually I met with the physical therapist, and she worked me through my exercises after being a bit surprised that I had been out and about on a boat tour.  I’ve got a plan, lady, and it doesn’t include just vegetating in bed.

I’ve been extremely lucky that my recovery has been moving along quickly without the use of pain medications.  I haven’t felt I needed them since I came home.  I have them available, and will use them if I need to.  Tomorrow, the bandage nurse will be back, and I’ll keep doing my exercises.  My goal is to walk the four mile trail on the refuge before I leave here.  I can envision the prize…

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy