Tuesday, June 26, 2012

It’s good to be home…I think

After my expensive, quiet motel last night, I decided to pass on having a room service breakfast since it would have cost me about $15.  Instead, I had a sausage McMuffin for $1.06.  Winking smile  I was leaving Lexington by eight in the morning and thought I’d take a little detour on my way back to check out the COE campground where my sister and I have made reservations for the second week in July.  It’s on Buckhorn Lake in Kentucky.

“Jack-in-the-Box” agreed with the directions to get there in my COE book, so that was a good thing.  I imagined myself to be my brother-in-law, Stan, driving his motorhome since this is the route that he would take from the north.  Even in my car it was a slow up and down, very curvy, skinny 50+ miles through the mountains of eastern Kentucky.  Occasionally I went as fast as 40 mph, but most of the drive was in the 20-30 mph range.  When I finally found the campground, it was a little less than I expected for a COE park.  The sites were quite close together, and not very long.  I thought they’d border Buckhorn Lake, but they didn’t.  I’m not sure where the lake was.  I never saw it.  The waterfront sites that we reserved are along a small river. 

It’s also really located in the middle of nowhere, and it would take hours to get to any place to visit or tour.  I’m sure it’s quite nice if you are a fisherman, but none of us are.  I’m having second thoughts about meeting there and am looking into other possibilities.  The route I would take there from here only involves about 20 miles of tortuous driving, but I think I’ll go with my gut feeling unless Pam and Stan just want to stay in camp and relax for a week.  I’m glad I took the time and the extra 120 miles to check this place out.

When I got back to the Escapees Raccoon Valley park, I was relieved.  There’s nothing like coming home.  It’s nice to visit family and stay with them, and I occasionally enjoy a stay in a motel, but nothing beats my own bed and routine.

While I was at Robyn’s, I had my mail delivered but didn’t really go through it until today.  June is when my insurance on the rig and toad are due so I planned to take care of that this afternoon.  When I opened the bill, I almost passed out.  It was more than 80% higher than I’ve paid for the last six years!  I gave my agent a call in Sioux Falls, and he’s going to get back to me tomorrow after he investigates it.  Yes, I had a claim last summer when I got the rig up close and personal with a tree, but that hardly seems reason to me to almost double my cost.  Isn’t that why you have insurance?

I managed to get most everything unpacked from the car this afternoon.  You know, when I go to the Chicago area I have to pick up some special items that I can’t find in other areas of the country.  I bought a small Styrofoam cooler so I could transport some great cold cuts, good rye bread, and Italian beef back for my freezer.  There were a few other items also.  I sure did come back with more than I left with.  Smile

As I went to store my suitcase under the bed, I noticed some evidence of some unwanted residents.  Upon further investigation, it seems a family of mice had found some green sponge like stuff and made a not so little nest in the past.  I’m guessing it happened while I was at Anahuac NWR last winter.  (I don’t use the stuff under the bed very often)  The green foam came from an ironing board thingy that I had for when I used to iron my clothes.  I gave that up some time ago, but kept the pad just in case.  So, out came the vacuum and I sucked up the debris.  Yuck!  I had to get out my rubber gloves to dispose of a couple of petrified little bodies.  Apparently I had trapped the mother.  It was a disgusting task, but now I guess I’ll have to give up ironing for sure!  All’s well that ends well…

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy