Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dealing with health issues while traveling solo

One of the challenges of fulltime RVing is handling health issues when they arise.  Many of us have a place that we return to periodically to visit our Primary Care Doctor.  My family doctor is at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, and I return there every two years for a checkup, needed tests like a mammogram, and to get prescriptions for my meds written.  Having that connection with someone who knows your medical history is great, and it works out fine as long as you’re in reasonably good health.

_MG_0185

(Tonight’s photos are scenes from a drive around the refuge this afternoon after picking up my new glasses in Nags Head.)

What happens, though, if you get sick while you’re on the road and many many miles from that doctor?  I’ve had a few instances in the last year or so, where I’ve needed medical attention.  If you are a couple, your spouse/significant other can get you to a medical facility.  If you are traveling solo, you have to get there by driving yourself.  I have had to drive myself to a couple of urgent care centers in nearby cities.

_MG_0187Last November, my back went out, and there was no way I was able to drive.  Luckily, a fellow volunteer was able to take me to get some help.  Now fast forward to my present issue with my hip, and the possibility of needed surgery.

_MG_0205

This opens up a whole different set of challenges.  Traveling solo, I just don’t have a care giver stored away somewhere that could help in the recovery and rehabilitation process.  Sad smile  So I’ve been doing quite a bit of thinking about the situation since it isn’t mandatory that I make the decision immediately.  So far, I’ve come up with three different possibilities.  Of course, all three depend upon me being able to buy some more time with the meds and cane to get me through the winter months.

_MG_0207The first possibility would be to drive to Minnesota next spring, and have the hip taken care of at the Mayo Clinic.  I could probably park the rig in my son Andy’s driveway. 

_MG_0192

The second possibility would be to have the operation done in Indiana and stay in the guest bedroom at Robyn’s.  I don’t know what I’d do with the rig for the duration.  Both of these possibilities would have me relying on them for post-op care which I am reluctant to do.  They are both active, busy, young families with young children.

_MG_0201

Lastly, I am considering staying in Livingston, TX, at the Escapee’s Rainbow’s End park.  I am a lifetime member of Escapees, and they have a wonderful CARE facility for members that allows you to stay in your rig during the recuperation phase.  Staying at the CARE facility also includes three meals a day and weekly cleaning of your rig and laundry.  Volunteers would also drive me to doctor appointments.  All three possibilities also leave me with the challenge of what to do about Emma.  I don’t know what I’m going to do about that.

_MG_0194

Health issues are a challenge whether or not you are a solo.  They just add a few more things for me to think about.  I appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions you’ve provided thus far.  Several commenters suggested I start taking fish oil daily.  Just wanted to tell them that I’ve been taking fish oil for the last eight years.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy