Friday, August 3, 2012

Taking a ‘wait and see’ attitude.

I was finally, officially told today that Abbey, the volunteer coordinator, has turned in her resignation.  She may only have a day or two more to work.  I have my opinions as to what caused this to happen, but I won’t go into those.  Abbey is a great person to work for, and I’ll be sorry to see her leave.

Her supervisor, Bonnie, finally told me when I told her I was in the dark as to what was going on.  “Oh, didn’t you get the email I sent?”  Yea, right!  None of the volunteers got this so called email.  Bonnie and I have had our disagreements in the past.  Anyway, the reason it is a concern is that Abbey is the person who makes our work schedules and runs both visitors centers.  I’m confident that Pea Island NWR is at or near the top of the list nation wide for number of visitors.

She knows that putting me in visitors centers for 50% of my work time is about my limit.  I much prefer to be outdoors, whether it’s picking up trash, doing programs, or filling pamphlet boxes.  I like a variety of assignments.

I’m trying not to let the opinions of the other volunteers influence me about the person that will be making up the work schedules for at least the next several weeks.  (knowing how the government works, it will probably be for months on end)  I’ve been told that this person is retired military, and treats the volunteers like a drill sergeant treats new recruits in boot camp.  I haven’t even met her, but that kind of treatment won’t work with me.  Lets just say that I know my strengths and dedication to volunteering for the US Fish and Wildlife Service, and I won’t be treated lightly or with condescension.

I’m not going to jump the gun here, but will take a ‘wait and see’ attitude.  Chances are everything will turn out just fine, but as my friends, and fellow volunteers, Denny and Fonda say, “It only takes twenty minutes to pack up and be gone.”  (It takes me a bit longer than that being there’s only one of me.  Winking smile)  It may be a very interesting next couple of weeks.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy