Wednesday, April 17, 2013

700+ miles under my belt

I haven’t been posting since I left Okefenokee on Monday, because there just wasn’t much to say.  It was just a matter of driving and driving, and setting up for the night at a couple of not very memorable campgrounds.  I’m not a Walmart boondocker.  My choice is to find a campground (preferably Passport America) in the afternoon, minimally set up, and take Emma for a walk on something other than asphalt.  I stretched it for me at 260 miles on Monday, but at least I passed into the central time zone, so I gained an hour.  That amount of miles fairly wore me out, and I wanted to be off the road before my attention span and reaction speed was slowed down by drowsiness.

IMG_1976I spent Monday night in the panhandle of Florida, and last night outside of Biloxi, MS.  Memories flowed through my mind as I passed up the exit for Mississippi Sandhill Crane NWR.  This morning, I awoke with renewed vigor to be traveling through the Atchafalaya National Heritage Area in Louisiana.  I just wish those blotches in the sky were birds and not bug splatters on my windshield.  Confused smile

IMG_1983

I’ve driven this 18 mile bridge along I-10 several times before, but the cypress have never been green on my previous trips.  Sorry to say, there are no areas to pull off for pictures along the bridge, so I just pointed my camera without looking in the view finder and clicked.

IMG_1986

I’ve never tried to take pictures while driving before, so it’s a good thing I just kept clicking away without looking.  I’m not sure I’ll ever try that again…too distracting.  This is a different kind of swamp than Okefenokee, and it has intrigued me since the first time I drove across it.  I just may have to take a swamp tour while I’m in the area.

_MG_8597

After only 205 miles today, I pulled into Billy Thibodeaux’s Premiere RV in Scott, LA.  Long time readers might remember that this is my favorite place to get maintenance, repairs, and upgrades on my rig.

_MG_8598

After hugs and handshakes, it wasn’t long before I was ensconced in my full hook-up site in the gated yard.  My guess is that I’ll be here a week or ten days for everything on my list to be accomplished.  It will give me plenty of time to revisit some favorite places, explore some new things, and surely enjoy a shrimp po-boy or two!  I’ll keep you posted on how things progress.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy