Sunday, April 28, 2013

Arkansas, the Natural State

275 miles might not seem much of a drive to some folks, but it wore me out.  I left Ajax, LA, a little before 9:00 this morning and headed for Arkansas.  It was good on I-49 to Shreveport, and then things got a little interesting as I got off of the interstate to take US 71 North.  After weaving around in Shreveport, 71 becomes a two lane highway that could use some repaving for a good portion of it.  I must say, it was a good test to see if the MCD shades were going to stay put or fall down.  Thankfully, they stayed put.

Once I got into Arkansas, the roads became smooth four lanes with only one detour that had ‘Jack-in-the-Box’ rather frustrated.  He almost set a record for ‘recalculating’!  Once I reached I-30 East, both he and I heaved a sigh of relief.  I would have hit my ‘Easy Button’ had it been within reach.

We sailed along for several more hours, and as I passed the exit for Hot Springs National Park, I couldn’t help but reminisce about the time I stopped there for a full body work over at one of the historic spas.  If you are ever near there, do stop in and get an appointment.  It’s an experience you’ll never forget.  If I had the knowledge or the energy, I’d include a link to my post a few years ago about my day at the Hot Springs spa.

IMG_2034

Anyway, along about 3:00, I finally found my way to the Maumelle Park COE campground a little ways northwest of Little Rock, AR.  Good old ‘Jack-in-the-Box’ took me on the scenic nerve wracking way to get there.  I ended up on a very skinny two lane road with no shoulders, and low hanging tree branches that whacked the top of the rig. 

IMG_2031

There were also three bicyclists in front of me on that road, so the five miles or so seemed to take forever.  With all of the curves in the road, I couldn’t chance trying to pass them.  I was also becoming a little panicked about ever finding the place.  My mind conjured up a dead end with no room to turn around.  I was trying to figure out how I was ever going to get out of this predicament, when the entrance to the park suddenly appeared on the left.  This was after good old ‘Jack’ had said I’d passed it up about a mile back.Surprised smile

IMG_2032

I was a wreck when I stopped to check in.  I got directions to the site I had reserved via the internet.  It’s hard to choose a site just looking at a map, but I really like my choice.  It’s not a waterfront site along the Arkansas River, but a rather secluded woodland site with no other campsites very close by.  It fits me to a T.

I crate Emma when we travel, and she remains vigilant the whole trip, and doesn’t sleep the time away.  So, by the time we were set up, we both were worn out from the day.  We’ll be here for three nights, so we’re just going to relax tomorrow and investigate this campground.  Maybe I’ll get some pictures of the campground sites along the river.  They’re more tightly packed together than the one I chose.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy