Sunday, March 11, 2012

5 things this fulltimer has

A couple of bloggers have posted things that they think are necessary for RVers to have along in their travels.  I thought I’d blog about 5 things I have that may not be absolutely essential, but that make my fulltiming experience more complete for me.  One is a new purchase for me, and the others are replacements for worn out items or things I always have with me._MG_6809It probably won’t surprise many of you that I consider bird feeders one of my essentials.  These are items that make me feel more at home when I land somewhere. (my new purchase will relate to my enjoyment of these feeders)

_MG_6795 _MG_6791

When I land at places like National Wildlife Refuges where I volunteer for an extended period, I put up a few more items that I have packed away.  That hummingbird wind catcher is well over 20 years old and pretty much shows me the winds better than those weather guessers on TV.  Smile  If I have a site with trees, I try to find a place for this happy face to blend into the environment.  It always reminds me of the talking trees in the Wizard of Oz.

IMG_6812

On the replacement front are two things that make life more comfortable for me.  First up is a new shaver to combat HLS.  After mutilating my leg last week, I needed a new one of these.

IMG_6813

I also replaced my personal sized 6” fan today.  The one I had for the last year or two just wouldn’t put out much air.  It resides on my bedroom nightstand, and provides a little white noise for sleeping as well as a cooling breeze for the times in the middle of the night that I seem to get over heated.

IMG_6811

The fifth item is a new purchase for me.  It is a plastic handgun that shoots soft pellets.  My plan is to dissuade the marauding squirrels that are playing havoc with my bird feeders.  I’m not exactly Annie Oakley, so my intent is to just give the squirrels a good scare.  John (of fellow volunteers John and Diana) remarked that he couldn’t understand how I could hit anything with the way my hand shakes.  Sounds like a challenge to me!  In that vain, I purchased some soft pellets that leave a splash of yellow when you hit your target.  I’m fully expecting that we’ll have some yellow spotted squirrels around here in the near future.  I hesitated to post about this item, but I hope you’ll understand that I would never do anything to permanently damage any wildlife (other than mosquitoes and no-see-ums)… and maybe mice invading my RV.

So what items give you comfort or you feel are essential for your travels?

IMG_6804

Now, as for one of the things that I wished I had in my RV is a dog that would pose for pictures.  Whenever I try to get a portrait of Emma, she turns her head one way…

IMG_6805

…or the other.  At least this time she didn’t give me the rear end view she usually does…

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy