Saturday, March 10, 2012

Don’t forget to spring ahead!

Yep, it’s that time of the year again.  I, personally, look forward to Daylight Savings Time for two reasons.  Since I seem to rise with the sun, after a few days of adjustment, I’ll be getting a little more sleep for a while.  It will also allow me to be outside until later in the evening.  That makes me happy.

_MG_6729

My plan for today was to take care of chores.  I did get a couple of loads of wash out on the line, and that was good and not so good.  No rain was forecast for today, so things would dry; that’s good.  Notice those red sweatpants on the line?  That’s the not so good part.  They were new and receiving their first wash.  I didn’t think a thing about it until I pulled the load out of the washer.  As you may have guessed, the rest of the load now sports a rather pinkish tint to it.  Thinking smile

66 MS Sandhill Crane NWR 201229

As I noticed the blue skies and warming temperatures, I decided to forget about the other chores I had planned.  I couldn’t pass up such a gorgeous day, so Emma and I headed out to the Gulf Shores National Seashore instead for a hike.  First up was a chance to enjoy the blooming azaleas once again.  I just can’t seem to get enough of these vibrant colors.

_MG_6748

                    I’d much rather be out and about enjoying the wildlife than shopping for groceries.

IMG_6756

We came here several times last year, so I knew to park in the picnic area and head out on foot for the trail.

_MG_6750

There’s a nice gator pond along the way to the trailhead, but there were only turtles out sunning themselves today.

IMG_6761

Even though this is a well used trail, being out in the woods always makes me imagine I’m the first person ever traveling this path.

_MG_6770

There always seems to be something new to see.  I spent some time watching this little dude.  I was unable to capture it with a photo, but every so often he would stop and inflate a red patch on his throat for a Nano-second.  I just couldn’t press the shutter fast enough to capture it.

_MG_6782

Of course, I had avian friends along the way as well.  It was quite warm, and a little buggy for this walk.  The no-see-ums have arrived recently in Mississippi, and like mosquitoes they seem to seek me out.

_MG_6764

As I sat on one of the benches to observe the lizard, Emma seemed to relax as well.  I mistakenly thought that perhaps I had burned up some of her unlimited energy.  As usual, I was wrong about that.  As soon as I stood up she was off to the races once again. Smile with tongue out  I really think she should live with a ten year old boy!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy