Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A girls’ day at the beach

Diana, Emma, and I headed out this morning for a girls’ day at the beach on Dauphin Island, Alabama.  It was about an hours drive away.  I’ve never been much of a beach person (picture an alewife die off on the shores of Lake Michigan when I was growing up in Chicago).  I believe Diana has always been a beach person. 

IMG_7185

What a pleasant surprise it was for me to arrive at this mostly vacant white sand beach for the afternoon!  The water wasn’t brown, and the waves provided a lovely sound backdrop.

IMG_7171

As I went about setting up my chair under the beach umbrella that Diana had brought, she took Emma on a little romp in the sand.  I had told her that the last time I took Emma near any sand, she was a lunatic and nearly pulled my arm out of its socket.  Thank goodness she’s calmed down some.  Emma was happy until…

IMG_7173

Diana tried to coax her into the water.  Emma has always hated getting wet and even avoids small puddles that might get her feet wet.  She tried a sit down strike, but…

IMG_7174 IMG_7175

Diana was stronger, and Emma found herself in water over her head.  Of course, she naturally did the dog paddle for a few seconds.

IMG_7176 IMG_7183

                             As soon as she saw the shore, she was out of there!

IMG_7184

                                      “MOM, SHE MADE ME GO IN THE WATER AND I WAS SCARED!!”

We had a fun afternoon chit chatting away on the beach, and Emma and I went for a nice walk so I could look for some shells.  I did get my feet wet, but I’m not one for jumping in the ocean for a swim.  Guess I need to work on that.  The water wasn’t really cold at all.  Maybe next time. 

_MG_7193

I’m thinking this is a much nicer place to take Andy and his family for a day at the beach than at Biloxi Bay.  This Laughing Gull must have found something humorous in the waves.  Winking smile

7194-1 7194-2

Last night, I downloaded the new upgrade to Picasa, so when I went to edit my photos tonight there were new editing options available.  I gave one of them a try on this group of brown pelicans that was flying overhead.  Interesting, but I’m not sure how much I’ll use those new options.  I’ll have to play around with them a bit.  It’s back to work tomorrow for me.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy