Saturday, March 24, 2012

Grits, squirrels, no-see-ums, and expenses

I had another culinary first for me this morning.  I decided to make some grits.  Diana (being a southern belle)suggested I add some cheese, a dollop of butter, and an egg on top for breakfast.  I sort of poached an egg and lightly mixed it in to the enhanced grits.  My opinion?  Grits are rather gritty.  It was not exactly a ‘to die for dish’ in my opinion.  It did stick to my ribs however.  I’m thinking it’s going to take me a very long time to use up the eleven individual servings that are left in the box. 

IMG_7104

This is a nice yellow flower blooming in front of the VC, but you’ll not see any squirrels with yellow spots running around the refuge.  Turns out the new and improved shooter that I got to plunk away at the squirrels seems to have a mind of its own as far as  ejecting the pellets is concerned.  The pellets don’t leave a splotch of paint as I’d hoped, but perhaps just a dusting of yellow dust on a target.  My fingers get yellow loading the pellets, but the squirrels just smirk at me.  Someone close by, who will remain nameless, has advanced to a Daisy Red Ryder Bee bee gun in this range war which has resulted in a virtual absence of the critters near their feeders.  I leave you to guess where the marauding pack of fluffy tailed rodents has moved over to.  Crying face

IMG_7098 IMG_7100

A couple of folks have asked how the dryer sheets are working against my battle with the no-see-ums.  I’m here to report that after diligent testing, this has turned out to be another old wives’ tale.  They are about as effective as standing on your head! 

_MG_7118

Perhaps I could use them to dissuade snakes?  I’ve also found them of no use in curtailing mice.

_MG_7121

Maybe they’re called dryer softening sheets because that is the only place they are effective??

_MG_7129 _MG_7131

For the past six years, I’ve diligently been recording how I’ve spent every cent since I’ve been on the road.  I’ve typed in every purchase in yearly spreadsheets broken down by month.  You know what?  I’m tired of doing that, and have seldom gone back to check were my money has gone.  I’m living within my budget, so I think I’m just going to rely on checking my bank account when necessary.  Can anyone give me a good reason to continue this practice?

IMG_7110

My parting thought tonight is to remind you to stop and smell the roses…  Smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy