Thursday, July 5, 2012

Do you ever read your old posts?

A couple of years before I started writing this blog I wrote a journal to document my travels as a fulltimer.  I’m glad I did.  It wasn’t the first journal I wrote.  I have a journal of my trip to Alaska in 2004, and a few other short ones about birds and camping that I did while I was still working. 

A few days ago, I went back in my journal to read about my time spent volunteering at Pea Island and Alligator River NWRs back in the summer of 2007.  I didn’t write daily in the journal, but I sure enjoyed my observations from five years ago.  Since I was the only one reading it, I included everything good and bad about that experience.  Over all, I had a good time there with some wonderful memories.  I’ll be heading back there in a couple of weeks, so it was a good time to review things.

IMG_0445 IMG_0446

I started out staying at the volunteer site on Pea Island.  I had a view out my front window of the ocean.

IMG_0423

Being right on the ocean was something I always wanted to do.  I walked the beach daily and collected shells.  On the down side, there were the mosquitoes and salt spray on the rig.

IMG_0449 IMG_0448

After a month, I moved over to Alligator River NWR, and this was the view out my front window.  The reason I moved was because I had no cell phone or internet reception on Pea Island.

IMG_0495

No ocean view, but black bears, wolves, and bobcats surrounded me.  On the down side, I spent some time up close and personal with chiggers.  Ugh!

On Tuesday, I emailed Abbey, the volunteer coordinator for both refuges, and asked if I could arrive just after the middle of the month instead of the first of August.  I’m ready to start volunteering again, but didn’t know if a site would be available for me.

bodieisland

She replied to me today to say that there were a couple of sites available for my arrival around the 18th of the month.  I hope you can enlarge this map to see my choices.  The arrow on the left is Alligator River.  The one on the bottom right is Pea Island which I don’t think is available.  The one in the middle is Bodie Island Light House that is a part of the Hatteras Island National Seashore.  Abbey said that the Bodie Island site is beautiful, and that the National Park Service has offered a site for a volunteer there.  She also said there is good cell phone reception there.

IMG_0451 IMG_0452

I guess I’ll decide once I get there.  The Bodie Island site is a lot closer to the Visitor’s Center where I’ll be working on Pea Island, and gives me the option of experiencing a barrier island coast once again.  Perhaps I’ll split my time between both locations.  I’m getting excited about getting back in the saddle again, smelling the salty air, and having a purpose for getting up in the morning.  Does it come down to a choice between mosquitoes and chiggers??  Hmm…

Yes, I do go back and read old posts or journal entries.  How about you?

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy