Thursday, July 19, 2012

I made a choice

With one last travel day on the horizon for a while, I was up very early with my stomach churning as usual on a driving day.  I sure would like to win the lottery and be able to hire a driver.  Of course that means I’d have to buy a ticket!  Anyway, it was a mostly smooth trip of only 75 miles to meet Abbey Riebel at the volunteer RV pads at Alligator River NWR.  Surprisingly, I had remembered from five years ago that there was a gas station just before the bridge crossing the Alligator River.  I decided to top off the tank.  Even though the gage said I had more than 3/4 of a tank left, I still put in more than $100 worth at $3.30/gallon.

I pulled into the camp area, turned on the generator so I’d have AC for Emma, and hopped in Abbey’s truck to take a look at the site at the Bodie Island Lighthouse.  The spot was very spacious and surrounded by sand dunes, but I just couldn’t get past the fact that I’d probably have to be constantly washing the rig to keep the salt spray at a minimum.  That salt spray really does a number on any metal parts of the rig, and rust is the result. 

IMG_9408

So, my choice was to stay at the Alligator River NWR site.  No ocean lapping nearby, but also no salt spray.  It took me quite some time to get things set up since the temps were in the 90’s with high humidity.  I’d work outside a while, and then come in to cool off.  My clothes, of course, were wet enough to wring out.

IMG_9410We are all nestled in along a bank of trees.  Fellow volunteers Peg and George are on my left, and the trailer on my right is for some University people doing some kind of study on the refuge.  Apparently, they are seldom in camp.  I’ve been told they are also Chinese and speak very little English.  I wonder what it is they’re studying.

_MG_9413

There is a small volunteer building that houses a couple of showers, a living room, and the laundry.  It hasn’t changed any in five years since I was last here.

_MG_9412

The electrified fence around the compound has been reinforced with a second line by Peg and George.  The purpose of this electric fence is to keep out the bears.  Quite a few bears are regularly seen around the campsites.  I look forward to getting a glimpse of them.  Smile

_MG_9423 _MG_9424

                        This evening, Emma met her neighbor, and made a new friend.

_MG_9421

Princess, is one of two boxers that live with Peg and George.  The other boxer, Duchess, has some issues with exuberant dogs like Emma, so we’ll take our time introducing those two.

I’ve got some pretty flaky internet service out in the boonies here, so I’m hoping I’ll get this post published.  I’m just relieved to finally have arrived.  Hopefully, a small cold front will be moving through soon, so temps will be more reasonable this weekend.  I don’t have to report for work until Tuesday, so I’ll spend the weekend finding a good grocery store and reacquainting myself with the Outer Banks.  Cool beans!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy