Saturday, July 21, 2012

Settling in

Last night, in between torrential downpours, I was able to finally get the sewer connection hooked up.  Sometimes I don’t have the hand strength to twist the connections.  I needed three sections to make the hose long enough to reach the sewer connection, and getting that third one to cooperate took repeated tries over two days.  It does give me a sense of accomplishment though when I finally make things work properly. 

This morning’s mission was to visit the Saturday morning farmer’s market in Manteo, and get a hair cut in Kitty Hawk.  I just love the name of the towns around here…Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Rodanthe, Waves, Nags Head, Stumpy Point, Ocracoke etc.  

IMG_9434

Finding a parking spot along the shore in Manteo is a challenge.  I had to walk several blocks to get to the farmer’s market, but it’s very pleasant along the boardwalk.

_MG_9441 _MG_9436

Along the way, I found it a bit disconcerting to think about the sign on the left.  Yuck!  It turns out this area used to be the water treatment plant for Manteo.

IMG_9435

I’m sure the influx of tourist dollars persuaded the powers that be that this scene was a great improvement over a water treatment plant.

_MG_9437

I only found one actual farmer at the market.  The rest of the booths had jewelry, dog bones, jams, jellies, and a very crabby lady selling windows.  I could go on about her, but I think it’s best to just forget about that encounter.

IMG_9447

I ended up buying three scrumptious home grown tomatoes, and a big bag of the longest green beans I’ve ever seen.  Can you believe that these beans are 20” long?  I fixed a big bowl of them for dinner tonight, and they were quite tasty.  The young farmer told me that they are an old variety, and in the old days people would pick them and drape them over their arm.  This young farmer couple bring organic produce here every week, and I signed up to get an email telling what they have available each week.  They occasionally bring pork and lamb to sell, and I’m looking forward to trying their pork.  I think I’ll skip the lamb though.

I did manage to get a nice hair cut at a reasonable price in Kitty Hawk, and then returned to the rig.  The rains began again in earnest late this afternoon, so we’ve pretty much been confined inside.  I’ve been perusing the restaurant pamphlets, and may just return to the ‘Tale of the Whale’ tomorrow for my birthday dinner.  I’m eyeing the Garlic Shrimp (fresh caught off shore) on their menu.  I do really like shrimp.  Smile  That’s where I went for my birthday dinner five years ago.  Yep, I’m getting into the OBX groove…

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy