Sunday, July 1, 2012

Lessons learned

As I’ve been sitting here in the sweltering heat the last few days, it dawned on me that June 29 marked my sixth anniversary of being on the road.  While swimming in the pool last night, I began to contemplate what that has meant to me.  Without getting maudlin, I’ve decided to post some of the lessons I have learned while fulltiming.  Some where new, and others just reinforced what we sometimes forget to remember.  I’ve included some photos from the appropriate years (most of which I don’t think you have seen).

2006-2007

Medicine Rock State Park, Montana

                                                    MEDICINE ROCKS STATE PARK, MONTANA

1. In my first year of fulltiming, I learned that I really needed a toad.  The little scooter that I had just didn’t cut the mustard.

Mt. Rainier Nat'l Park

                                                   MT. RAINIER NATIONAL PARK, WASHINGTON

2. One of the places I volunteered at that year was Fort Flagler State Park, Washington.  It was here that I learned that I should never again volunteer for an office job.  I prefer to be outside.

2007-2008

 

Caddo Lake State Park, Texas

                                                             CADDO LAKE STATE PARK, TEXAS

3.  As I spent more time in remote locations, I learned I needed a Wilson amplifier and trucker’s antenna so I could stay in touch with the world.

Alligator River NWR, North Carolina

                                   ALLIGATOR RIVER NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE, NORTH CAROLINA

4. Being in sunny hot locations also meant I really needed sun shades for the windshield and front side windows.  I got my first set at the Escapade in Indiana that year.

2008-2009

Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah

                                                        BRYCE CANYON NATIONAL PARK, UTAH

5. The spring of ‘08 is when Emma adopted me, and I learned real quickly that I needed to secure her traveling crate while under way.  An abrupt turn had it turning upside down and going down the stairs with her in it.  She didn’t complain, but I learned a lesson.

IMG_1769

                                                     DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT,  UTAH

6.  While volunteering at Dinosaur Nat’l Monument, I learned to trust my surge guard.  Staff tried to convince me that it was broken, but I stood my ground and it turned out the electric power at the sight was consistently low.

2009-2010

Hot Springs Nat'l Park, Arkansas

                                                      HOT SPRINGS NATIONAL PARK, ARKANSAS

7. It was in Hot Springs Arkansas that I learned to take time for my first ever spa treatment and massage.  What a luscious and relaxing experience that was.

IMG_3630

                                              SWAN LAKE NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE, MISSOURI

8.  While volunteering at Swan Lake NWR, I had plenty of time to be reminded to take time for nature.  It’s amazing what you can see if you just take the time to relax and be observant.

2010-2011

IMG_8704

                                                       YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING

9. At Yellowstone, I learned that sometimes cameras crap out, and it’s worth a 250 mile drive to purchase a new one so you can have these portraits of your memories in more than your mind.

_MG_4701

                                                 MALHEUR NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE, OREGON

10.  This is something I’ve learned, but still have to work on.  Mr. wise old owl tried to teach me to take a nap if you’re tired.  He was very good at doing that right outside the visitor’s center at Malheur.

2011-2012

IMG_3811

                                               ANAHUAC NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE, TEXAS

11.  I have surely learned by now to savor any and all sunsets or sunrises that I observe. 

IMG_7986

                                             SELMA TO MONTGOMERY FREEDOM MARCH, ALABAMA

12.  And I hope I have the guts to stand up for what I believe in. 

It has been a marvelous six years for me on the road, and I hope I’ll be able to do six more.  Nothing very prolific in what I’ve learned, but what a journey it has been.  As always…

IMG_4522

                           DON’T FIGHT WITH YOUR NEIGHBORS.  THERE’S ENOUGH TO GO AROUND.  Smile

IMG_1690

                                                                                  THE END!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy