Sunday, October 23, 2011

An uneventful drive…NOT!

After buying three more bags of ice this morning, Emma and I pulled out of the Memphis South RV Park shortly after nine.  There was a 30% chance of showers for the journey, and we found ourselves in that 30% for a couple of hours.  Around noon, a rest area appeared so we pulled in.  As I took Emma out for a walk, I made the customary trip around the rig and toad checking to see that everything looked in order.  It did.  Back inside, as I had a piece of that pumpkin pie I bought yesterday, a bus load of tourists pulled in next to me.  It appeared to be a senior citizens group.  They began to mill around in the parking area, and several were pointing at my rig and chattering away.  Several even took pictures.  Curiosity got the better of me, so I leashed Emma, and we stepped outside.  I was hoping there wasn’t something terribly wrong that I hadn’t noticed. 

We barely got down the steps when one of the group came over to talk to me.  Turns out he was their tour leader, and they were all from Sweden.  None of them had seen a rig like this before, and they were all very curious.  First question was about what it costs to buy one of these rigs.  Next, the leader asked if some of them could take a peek inside.  I said okay, and that’s when the queue formed.  One at a time they came in to the top of the steps and oohed and aahed.   I tried to explain about the slide out, but wasn’t sure they understood.  They wanted to know if I slept on the couch, and if I drove this thing myself.  I suppose now, I’ll be known as the crazy woman in the United States that lives in a big bus.  Smile  As for Emma, she was thrilled with all of the attention.

As I exited I-55 for the Swinging Bridge RV Park in Byram, MS, I got a slightly queasy feeling in my stomach.  Things seemed too familiar.  Sure enough, I’ve stayed here before, and the entrance road is a doozy.  You have to drive through a strip mall with several big speed bumps, and someone decided to park their car making the left hand turn into the campground almost impossible.  I really had no choice but to have the rig’s rear driver’s side tire go up and over a curb so I wouldn’t hit the car.  Well, for the first time ever, two cabinet doors flew open and all my dishes came flying out.  I don’t have a lot of glass things, but much of what I do have ended up crashing into a million pieces.  What a racket that made!  Ugh!  Before I could let Emma out of her crate after setting up, I spent a half hour sweeping up glass shards.

Then there was the mystery of the missing shoes.  After putting the slides out, I could only find one of the four shoes I had on a shelf back by the bedroom.  I looked everywhere.  I even checked to see if they had been sucked outside when I put the slide out.  I figured they got knocked off of the shelf when I did the curb thing, but where could they have gone?  It wasn’t until some time later that I figured it out.  With the up and down of the curb, apparently a drawer flew open, and the flying shoes landed inside just before the drawer slammed shut again.  I had to chuckle over that one.  Who finds three shoes mixed in with their undies??

With any luck, I’ll finally make it to Premiere RV in Scott, LA, tomorrow in a dignified and uneventful way…

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy