Friday, October 14, 2011

The plot thickens. (long post)

I finally got a call from Samsung this morning, but it wasn’t good news.  They finally looked at my fax to them, but said only the cover page came through; nothing else.  Ugh!  So I said I’d send it again.  I also stressed that I hoped it wouldn’t take them until Monday to read it.  The guy was noncommittal.   A couple of hours later, they called again to report that yes, it was under warranty (no kidding), and that they would notify Mid America Appliance in Carbondale of my problem.  They also said it could take a day or two for Mid America to get an appointment arranged.  (here we go again)

Well, it wasn’t a half hour later when Mid America called to set up an appointment for Monday morning.  I said make it as early as possible because I was using ice to keep things cooled.  Once I said that, they put me on hold to see if any techs could possibly squeeze me in today.  They were all booked solid, but she said they would try to stop if at all possible.  By 1:30, a tech was knocking on my door!  He was traveling in between appointments in different towns.  He gave the fridge the once over, hoping it was an easy fix, and determined that the compressor was still working so the Freon (sp?) must have leaked out because of a hole in the lines somewhere.  Not an easy fix.  Sad smile  He couldn’t do anything about it today.  As he left for his next appointment, he said he would talk to his boss about it, and get back to me at the end of the day.  I’m waiting for his call now.

In the meantime, I called Cory at Thibodeaux’s Premiere RV in Louisiana.  He’s the young man that did the installation in January.  I needed to talk to someone experienced in what was involved, and that I trusted.  He assured me that pulling the  fridge out to work on it shouldn’t be a problem, and the work can be done inside the rig.  Alrighty then.  I’ll be better informed and confident when the Mid America tech calls back in a little while.


Jump ahead an hour…Mid America called and said the boss declined to work on the unit unless it is sitting in the middle of the floor, and that it would likely take two weeks to fix it.  I then called Samsung back to further explain the present situation.  (In the back of my mind is just driving to Louisiana to Premiere RV)  I was transferred to another department, and assured that their tech team would call me back tomorrow with a service company that will take the unit out and work on it. 

In the middle of that phone call, there was a knock at my door.  Now what?  It turned out that Martha Norman, a reader of my blog, stopped by to see how I was doing.  Who would guess that someone in Marion, IL, reads my blog?  Not I, that’s for sure.  Anyway, we had a nice visit while her husband went to a hardware store.  It was a welcome interruption to the roller coaster I was on.  She did say that she enjoyed my photos, but that there weren’t very many lately.  She had that right. 

So to remedy that situation, Emma and I are taking a drive to visit Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge tomorrow.  My original plan back before the brake situation was to spend some time at this refuge.  I guess I’ll get my wish after all. 

I know this is a long post, and I appreciate if you have made it to the end.  It’s a good way for me to document what’s happening, and easier to type than writing it out by hand.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy