Saturday, October 22, 2011

Another one of life’s little adventures

In weak moments, I sometimes long for a less exciting (or trauma filled) existence, but it usually doesn’t last long.  Yesterday was a pretty calm day, so I planned for today to be the same.  You know what they say about plans.  After sending two more faxes to Samsung this morning, I decided Emma and I should take the scenic 304 route around Arkabutla Lake.  We started out down US 51 which is four lanes with a 45 mph speed limit.  A couple of miles down the road, the car decided to stop in the middle of the road.  It was like someone was stepping on the brakes!  Didn’t have too much control over the steering, and we were very definitely coming to a quick stop!  I almost made it all the way off of the road, but not quite.  I immediately put on my emergency blinkers and tried to stop shaking long enough to figure out what the heck was going on.  Could Emma have somehow pulled up the emergency brake?…no, that was not possible.  The engine was still running, but I couldn’t go forward.  Then I noticed a loud drone that my mind finally categorized as familiar.  I checked for traffic, and then quickly jumped out of the car to run to check the front grill.

IMG_3718  IMG_3719

Sure enough, that little thingamajig on the left had fallen out.  It’s the plug for the break-away brakes when you’re towing a car behind your motorhome.  It normally attaches to your rig, so if the car breaks away, it will automatically stop.  I’ve never had it fall out before, but at least I now know that back-up braking system works.  I did find it in the middle of the road about 20-30’ back, and plugged it back in.  Phew!!

IMG_3683

I took this pic along the way to the lake.  The young lady in the office said route 304 really wasn’t very scenic, but I beg to differ.  Maybe it’s because she has lived her entire life in the area, or maybe it’s because I’ve spent too much time recently in parking lots, but I thought it was just like a jigsaw puzzle picture.

63 On the way to Anahuac, 201117

The weather was perfect, and the views enjoyable around the big lake.  Emma and I were able to get out and do a little walking as well.

63 On the way to Anahuac, 201119As the road wound around through the courthouse square of Hernando, MS, I noticed a farmer’s market taking place.

63 On the way to Anahuac, 201118

If you’ve been reading this blog for very long, you know that I had to stop!  Of course, I got some tomatoes, but I had difficulty choosing which little six inch homemade pie I wanted.  Caramel Apple or Pumpkin Streusel?  I finally picked the pumpkin one.  (It’s delicious!)   This is a big sweet potato growing area, but I surely didn’t need a bushel of sweet potatoes. I asked one elderly potato farmer if I could just buy two potatoes, and he decided to just give them to me. How nice was that?

_MG_3701

On the way back to the rig, I also stopped at the DeSoto County Historical Museum, but I think I’ll leave that for another post.  All’s well that ends well…

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy